Shawn Ackley, science teacher at the Earle B. Wood Middle School in Rockville, Maryland, has put together some great instructional videos on how to set up a TIC tank and its equipment. Some of the equipment he uses is different from what we use in Vermont. Nonetheless, if you're setting up your gear for the first time, I think you will learn something from them.
- Part 1 - Overall tank set-up (including tank insulation and gravel)
- Part 2 - Contents of canister filter (Fluval brand in this case)
- Part 3 - Attaching the hoses of a canister filter (intake and outflow hoses)
- Part 4 - Setting up a "drop-in" chiller (the type of chiller most Vermont schools currently use)
- Part 5 -Setting up the aerator/bubbler (keep the bubbles away from the filter intake and the breeder basket)
- Part 6 - How to do water changes and other tips (plus keeping ice on hand for emergencies, record keeping, etc.)